Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas!




(Two letters from Sister Reed back-to-back, newest first)

Hello!!  Thanks so much to all those who wrote me!  I LOVE IT!!
 
Mom and Dad, I am still here in Irkutsk... is everything understandable with how to call me?  I sure hope so!  And I will be waiting for a phone call on my Christmas Morning, right?  at 8 am?  Ooorah!!  I am so excited!  
 
Well I don't want to talk about too much right now because we will be talking soon!  But all is good here.. I read all your questions, don't worry!  Glad to hear that everyone is dong well!  I love you all so much- and am so grateful to have you as my family!! 
 
I've learned so much about the atonement lately.  I just know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know each of us individually.  They know all our concerns, our cares, and worries.  How we feel all the time- when we're sad, upset, dissapointed.  Like it says in Alma 7:11-12, Christ suffered for our infirmities.  Not only our sins, which is HUGE, but also all those other negative feelings.  I'm so grateful for the atonement.  I know that there is no other way that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father than through Jesus Christ.  Through his sacrifice, we can be made clean when we repent.  It's a perfect plan- and a plan of immense LOVE.   
 
Well, I guess I will be talking to you soon!  Mom- I can't wait to have a chat session with you again.  You don't know how much I miss those! 
 
Oh, and the package- I'm pretty sure it's been sitting in the office for months, I really only get mail once a transfer unless someone goes to Novo for some reason and brings back mail.  So I should get it today or tomorrow!!! ahh!  mERRY cHRISTMAS! 
 
I love you all!!!! :) :)
 
с любовью
сестра рид  :)


Hello!  Thanks for the letters!  You don't know how nice it is to get them.
Glad to hear that everyone is happy and healthy.  I guess that swine flu finally made it to Siberia... but no worries we're all doing good so far.  :)

The concert went well!  It's funny because when you think of concert (myself included) you might think of the chapel with pretty decorations everywhere and stuff, and little handouts and whatnot.  But here they really don't have any of that to work with.  It was small and humble, but many people showed up so I think it got the point across.  They played a clip from President Monson at the end about Christmas but of course I didn't understand it. haha.  

The baptisms went well!  I can't believe I've been here for 5 weeks and there has already been 2 baptisms.  I really can't take any credit in either beacuse they both had baptisimal dates before I got here, but it was fun to be here for the process.  :)  

          Baptism of Zyla and Aruna.  Zyla is mongolian, Aruna is Russian

Yes, tracting is hard.  It's different because there are so many doors to guard us from seeing them... like, sometimes there's the 1st door you need to get past with the code.  Then you walk up to another door once you're in and behind that door is 2 or 3 apts, which you buzz someone.  And then the person comes out of their apt and up to the door with a peep hole and says "кто там?"  And we say our shpeal, and if they want to hear they open that door.  But if not they yell something at us (haha not always yell) and go back to their apt.  So it's pretty redonk.  EXCEPT, last Sunday Sis Gorlova and I tracted into this guy who is a "believer" and was totally interested in everything!  He said he wanted to come to church and talk to us and all that stuff!  So we'll see if he's for real when we call him on Sat.  

When I talk to people, most of the time they say, huh?  And then I repeat and sometimes they still say, huh?  And Then they either wait for my companion to say it again or respond.  Most of the time they're just shocked to hear my accent but they don't act interested by the fact that I'm American or really turned off.  Some people say, "oh she's American.."  but that's really it.  I'm not sure if Russians really like Americans or not.  I can't tell.  

Классно, well I am excited to talk to you all soon!!  I will be speaking to you after I find out about transfers and all that good stuff next week.  

Here are some sweet pictures- I hope you enjoy!  Thanks for everything you do!   
я люблю вас!!  Be good!  Oh and Папичка, thanks for the photos!!  
Love, 
Сестра Рид


 Hastya and me.  She speaks english really well.  Oh yeah- I cut my hair!  I know, right??


Me and Oyuuna ( I have no idea how to spell it in english) .  She's my bud


                     Haha.  The awesome ice car


                    Me, Sis Gorlova, and Sister Southam on the slide!


                                    Icey stuff


 The smaller slide... cool, yeah?  It's all ice from Lake Baikal I believe.


Last but not least.... oh the beloved Bro Raimans (VERY strange man, haha!) and his collection.  That's also Elder MacKonnehey and Elder Player

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my close friends is currently studying in Irkutsk. She is there from Middlebury College in Vermont. I wonder if they'll cross paths? Small town Russia!

--Erika Schlieder

Post a Comment